oppose nomination of John Ashcroft

Alex B. Shepardsen abs at squig.org
Sat Jan 20 12:40:06 PST 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Jim Choate wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> > Heck, employers do it to employees all the time. We do it to our pets
> > when teaching them a lesson. Why should cops be any different?
>
> You fucking self-centerd ego-maniacal animal abuser. You NEVER have to use
> fear with pets. If you have to use fear it is your failing, not the pets.
> Do the animal a favor get rid of the pet, you're not fit for it.

I think this is a bit overly broad. (Declan's statement was in reference
to "a show of force" which is what I think you are onjecting to here. With
that, I totally agree.) One should never use violence to instill fear; in
fact, instilling fear in an animal is simply a bad idea.

But, with higher intelligence animals such as dogs, you may find it
unavoidable. I've come home to find my dog slinking around the house,
avoiding eye-contact with me, and generally looking scared and
guilty. (Then I discover my slippers gnawed on or the trash turned over.)

I've never struck her. I rarely yell at her. She is, however, afraid of
making me mad.

It's all in how you want to structure your training of the animal. The
positive reinforcement approach requires more patience and time initially,
but the results are much better than if you use punishment.

Alex