oppose nomination of John Ashcroft

Mac Norton mnorton at cavern.uark.edu
Fri Jan 19 21:33:37 PST 2001

Well, I think animals fear the tone in your voice when you
say "NO!" as contrasted with the usual tone in your voice.
That shouldn't be accompanied by a beating, but a smart
two-fingered tap on the muzzle during housebreaking,
followed by promptly putting the pup outside or on the
newspaper, is not abuse in my book.  Is it in yours?

Of course it's pretty well proven that reward works
better--as it does on humans--for more sophisticated
training but, again as with humans, it takes some
discipline to instill basic behaviors.
MacN