cell phone anonymity

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Sat Jan 13 10:42:44 PST 2001

GSM phones do indeed broadcast their International Mobile Equipment Number
(IMEI). The IMIE is hardcoded into the firmware of each phone. Changing the
IMIE is possible, but not from the UI. Recently, the manufacturers have
announced that they will make it even more difficult to alter IMEI's in the
future.

--Lucky Green <shamrock at cypherpunks.to>

  "Anytime you decrypt... its against the law".
   Jack Valenti, President, Motion Picture Association of America in
   a sworn deposition, 2000-06-06