NONSTOP Crypto Query

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Jan 12 09:31:59 PST 2001

At 11:54 AM -0500 1/12/01, John Young wrote:
>One of the Tempest FOIA docs NSA released recently
>concerns NONSTOP, a term whose definition is classified
>as SECRET. About half of the document, NACSEM 5112,
>"NONSTOP Evaluation  Techniques," has been redacted,
>and we'll publish it soon.
>
>>From the clear text, NONSTOP appears to refer to
>protection against compromising emanations of cryptographic
>systems, and maybe in particular radio crypto systems.
>
>Another document refers to NONSTOP testing and protection
>being especially needed on vehicles, planes and ships.
>
>We've been unable to retrieve more than a few words from
>the redacted portions (by use of xerography to reveal text
>below the overwrites), and would appreciate any leads on
>what NONSTOP means.

The Tandem Computers "NONSTOP" was a product line in use by various
government agencies for secure (fault-tolerant) computing for a long
time. I'd look there for starters.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns