Nader wants global U.N. Net-regulation body; Nader photos

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Thu Jan 11 07:23:59 PST 2001

I respectfully submit to you:

1.  Ralph does not represent me or my own views.
2.  His 1960's views of the industrial society view of government, a nation
and corporations do not, imho, apply to the internet or information society.
3.  Number 1 and 2 are worth mentioning again :)

I do agree with you that in general most people are concerned with their own
day-to-day lives and cannot or don't care to understand how decisions made
in Europe or in Washington, DC regarding the internet do, or could, affect
themselves or those they know. I don't know how to solve this problem, but
my own observation is the media is quite capable of whipping people into a
frenzy (perhaps as a distraction to the daily chore of worrying about
whether there is enough or not there is enough jelly in the pantry).  I
certainly don't believe an 'egalitarian elitist' (is there such a thing?)
like Ralph can solve our problems.  Observations:

- in the case of standards and practices, corporations will charge through
and push standards and practices which enable the growth of their revenues.
In their perception they are filling the voids standards bodies and
legislative bodies leave open.  Shame on standards bodies for taking so long
to approve protocols, and creating the kind of research and peer review
environment which rivals even mathematics research (which involves years.)
Shame on legislative bodies who do not try to fully understand our new
society and rush to pass laws which are awkward and unworkable.
Corporations innovate and want to move forward; waiting years for peer
review is not realistic for many standards (I'm referring especially to
layer 4 protocols and above in the case of the ip stack).  Imagine if
Napster had waited for the RIAA to come around to a new way of music
distribution...or waited for the IETF to come up with a peer-reviewed method
of peer-to-peer file sharing.  In many ways Napster acted like a corporation
(albeit with a different motivation).
- corporations and lobbying groups represent not a single entity (the
corporation), but a group of people who are employed by the company and the
shareholders of the company.  Perhaps this is the .1% of the people you are
referring to.  Few things motivate people as much as money does.  Oh, and
free music is also apparently a great motivator.
- for the rest of us not necessarily motivated by money the key method of
influence is participation.  Participation through corporations (change from
within is sometimes not difficult to achieve); participation as a
significant contributer to a movement or project (linux for example); or
participation by creating a new kind of application which drives change.

Anyway i'm frightened that people who are supposed to get it (dyson, nader,
etc.) and don't are making the decisions.  At least with a corporation you
can buy shares, go to a shareholder meeting and speak your mind.  How do you
reverse poor judgement in an individual?
pz
btw I certainly don't think I get it any more than anyone else...I've just
not heard anyone who has presented a world view that makes sense from top to
bottom (maybe there is no comprehensive world view).