G3 chatter...

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Wed Jan 10 20:22:10 PST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>    Oh, god, that goes waaay back. That's right, the HK G3 is a clone of the
> CETME. Although I think, IIRC, that the CETME used the bolt from the German
> (WWII era) MG-38/42 series of light machine guns, so it's not that the
> Spanish really invented it. And, as a matter of fact, most of the CETME
> people were postwar Deutsch refugees protected by Franco anyway.

True enough. Most of the European weapons designed through the early 80's
were either German or Russian based it seems to me. I've been looking at
the FN P90 for a while.

>     Nice weapons, all of them. Did you ever see the CETME light-weight
> version of the MG-3 in .223? What a sweetie! Dual drums.

I don't know. I'm familiar with the dual drum setup.

>    Gotta' hand it to the krauts -- best damn weapons in the world. I could
> care less what Smith & Colt do, as long as HK, SIG, and Walther keep on
> doin' what they do!

I certainly like HK. Sig makes nice pistols. Haven't kept up with the
latest Walther stuff.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com