IP, forwarded posts, and copyright infringement

Mike Holmes mycroftxxx at rebma.pro-ns.net
Wed Jan 10 16:11:35 PST 2001

I'm not sure if anyone has made a canonical list of what features define
a crank, but one of them has just got to be a complete inability to
admit a simple mistake.

makes an error.  I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on many of them
and assume that he exaggerates to make a point.  When someone calls him
on it, rather than admitting that he overstated his case, he makes it
worse.  The quoted material at the bottom of this message is a good
example of the start of one of these.

If you read the archives, you'll find examples of pretty much every
frequent poster to this list over the years posting a retraction or
correction for some minor detail.  You won't find any from Choate.

In the past, I've plonked him, but I found that I missed the entertainment
value.  He's interesting, in the same way a car accident is: you have
no real desire for the victims to be involved, but if it's going to
happen right in front of you, you might as well observe it!