IP, forwarded posts, and copyright infringement

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Wed Jan 10 10:43:53 PST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Tim May wrote:

> So, if I tear the cover off of a paperback book that I legally own
> (bought, for example), Choate's claim is that this "is in fact a
> crime"?

No, Tim. That isn't. If a store, who takes it on concession, has not sold
it by the time it's display date expires the cover is torn off. The book
is entered into the accounting system as 'destroyed' and it goes on from
there. The key point being, at least to this conversation, is that no
royalty on the book was ever paid. It was legally bound for the trash
heap.

So, possession is in effect possession of stolen property.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com