Choate Free Zone (I'm famous Ma!)

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Wed Jan 10 09:33:29 PST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> If I were to take Choate seriously, I'd point out that most of us,
> when we talk about "crypto anarchy" (which is a chapter by itself in
> Crypto), are not talking about lack of rules. In fact, anarchy can
> include many rules: protocols, standards, and social routines. Instead,
> we're talking about lack of *government* rules instituted by force.

I never said there weren't rules. Anarchy means no central authority, no
'arch'. The distinction you gloss is that the rules and protocols are
TOTALLY VOLUNTARY. The decision to comply is left at the discretion of the
individual. Some do, some don't.

> But all of us know better than to take Choate seriously. So we can do
> what's appropriate in an anarchy, and simply ignore him. Shunning,
> after all, is more than appropriate: When it comes to loons, it's
> even necessary.

Just another example of 'freedom for me but not for thee'. You feel it's
ok to shun, but not ok to be shuned. What a hypocrite.

In ANY sort of anarchy the act of shunning must be for something more than
simply refusing to go along.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com