crypto implementation for small footprint devices

Gé Weijers ge at cobalt.com
Wed Jan 10 06:59:13 PST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 03:42:45PM -0800, Xiao, Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently looking for crypto implementation that can fit into small
> footprint (in the order of 50K or less) devices. Ideally, an SSL type of
> protocol meets my requirements but it is almost impossible to implement it
> within 50K even with selected cipher suites. So, I am looking for
> alternatives (either symmetric key or public key based). I was thinking
> about WTLS but looks like its implementation can not be significantly
> smaller than that of TLS since it is also based on Public Key cryptography
> (I am wondering how it fits into a cellphone). Can any one tell me what is
> the approximate size of the client implementation of WTLS. Also, would
> anyone send some pointers to me regarding what I am looking for.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Peter

It's not the public-key operations themselves that use the space. I've
managed to squeeze OAEP-formatted RSA encryption into less than
20K. The public key was hard-wired, though. You probably want to stay
away from ASN.1 formatted data if space is a concern.

Gé

Gé Weijers             Voice: (614)485-2900
Sun Microsystems         Fax: (614)485-2929
Server Appliance Business Unit
1160 Dublin Rd., Ste 100, Columbus OH 43215