Book Review: The secrets of cryptography

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Jan 9 22:29:54 PST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:22:26AM -0500, An Metet wrote:
> by Joel Enos
> January 08, 2001
> At last, a book about secret codes that isn't boring or too technical!

And a book review that isn't accurate...

> In the end, you get a history lesson and a new set of questions to
ponder (such as, where is this all going to go?) filtered through the
people at the core of the controversy. Levy interviewed basically all
the privacy luminaries, from Fischer and Diffie to Phil Zimmerman
(head of Pretty Good Privacy). From them, he's managed to create what

With all due respect to Whit's very gracious and wonderful wife, I'm
not sure I'd call her a privacy luminary. Nor would I say Phil is head
of PGP.

> And his portrayal of Zimmerman as the freeware rebel flying around
uploading PGP to the Net via a laptop, acoustic coupler and various
pay phones is priceless.

This is not what Levy wrote.

-Declan