Update on NIST crypto standards

Jim Foti jfoti at nist.gov
Mon Jan 8 10:20:18 PST 2001

Hello-

Here is a brief update on NIST's crypto standards efforts:

1.  On January 5, 2001, we announced a Draft FIPS for HMAC (Keyed-Hash
Message Authentication Code) that is a generalization of HMAC as specified
in Internet RFC 2104 and ANSI X9.71.  A 90-day public comment period ends
April 5, 2001.  Details are available at <http://www.nist.gov/hmac>.

2.  On January 2, 2001, we posted a white paper that discusses our plans
for developing standards and recommendations for public key-based key
management.  This will be a two-part process, involving the development of
1) a scheme definition document, and 2) a key management guideline.  This
paper is available at <http://www.nist.gov/kms>.

3.  The Draft FIPS for the AES is anticipated for release for public review
in the very near future.  Final approvals for the release of this document
are pending.  When an announcement is made, information on the draft and
for providing public comments will be available at <http://www.nist.gov/aes>.

Best regards and Happy New Year,

Jim

[This note is being sent to those people who have attended any of NIST's
AES conferences, the Key Management Standard (KMS) workshop in February
2000, the Modes of Operation workshop in October 2000, or who have
expressed other interest in our efforts.  If you would not like to receive
similar notices in the future (which should be infrequent), please let me
know, and we will remove you from our email distribution list.]

Jim Foti

Computer Security Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 8930
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-8930
USA

TEL: (301) 975-5237