cell phone anonymity

Phillip Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Mon Jan 8 00:10:55 PST 2001

Just a minor correction to the below posting: cell phone locations are NOT
calculated using GPS.  They're triangulated via the three nearest cell sites
reading the cell phone signal.  Accuracy is much lower than with GPS, but
good enough for cops to, say, find a stranded motorist on a highway.  I
believe resolution is somewhere around 40 meters in densely populated areas
(where there are many cell phone towers).  This resolution figure varies
from region to region.

GPS, as you know, relies on the satellite GPS system which requires special
electronics and antenna systems that neither US-based (cdma, tdma, etc.) nor
Europe-based (GSM) nor Japan based cell phone systems incorporate into cell
phones.  The only system which MAY have included GPS (but I don't think they
included it though they could have) was IRIDIUM, which is now used by the US
Navy and US Special Forces units for remote communications...yes IRIDIUM is
still alive and kicking.  Turns out their satellite-to-satellite
communication, which uses direct laser communication, is pretty secure. :)

IMHO, the real privacy issue with cell phones is the security of a
conversation.  Digital cell phones use padded encryption keys which
effectively dummy down overall encryption.  If you cryptanalyze a
transmission you'll find a nice, consistent pad of zeros in every key (how
thoughtful to make the padding so consistent!)

phillip zakas