cell phone anonymity

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sun Jan 7 21:59:26 PST 2001

On the larger purchases, the costs drop down to the forty-cents-a-minute
range.  Totally worth it if you really *need* anonymity on the phone.

Of course, anonymity is relative; these phones have built-in GPS chips
for 911 calls, and these are activated from the central office, not by
a 911-sensing circuit in the handset.  IOW, it is not impossible for
someone with the right gear and knowhow to query the phone for its
exact latitude and longitude at any moment when it's in use.  (I don't
know whether it can be queried when it's switched off, nor if so whether
removing the main batteries will stop it).  So if you're into hard
anonymity, keep it inside a faraday cage when you're not using it and
don't use it from inside your own dwelling.

Faraday cages don't have to be fancy; a fruitcake tin will usually do.

					Bear