cell phone anonymity

Phillip Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Sun Jan 7 15:34:43 PST 2001

RE: actual cell phone buying experiences in Europe...

In Greece you can purchase a GSM cell phone with smart card reader for cash
(sometimes free if you purchase a smart card along with the phone)...no
address, phone number, etc. required to receive the phone.  Smart cards with
pre-set values (usually $5, $10 and $25 worth in Greek drachmas) are
purchased in cash via the thousands of corner kiosks or at electronics
stores, etc.  Again, no name, phone number, address, etc. required to
purchase smart cards.

The Greek GSM cell phones are useable across all of Europe, including the UK
and Eastern Europe, Russia, etc.  Plus the phones can be modified to
interact with Voicestream's US GSM-type service (I've been told, not
experienced first hand).

Phillip Zakas