Steven Levy Book Tour

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sun Jan 7 15:29:51 PST 2001

Steven Levy writes:

Here is a link to some sites for a book tour:

   http://www.penguinputnam.com/stevenlevy/tour.htm

Not on there for some reason is a reading/discussion at Microsoft's Mountain
View (CA) campus on Jan 12 at 3:30 p.m. that's open to the public.  Another
public event is Jan. 16 at the University of Washington bookstore in
Seattle, at 7 pm.

-----

Sorry I failed to mention previously the full title of Steve's new book
(first posted, I thnk, by Commando Hettinga):

"CRYPTO: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government - Saving
Privacy in the Digital Age."

And more:

Endorsements for Crypto by Neal Stephenson, Kevin Kelly and David Kahn:

"You've got to hear this story of how renegade geniuses and unlikely heroes
liberated crypto from under the noses of spooks, and installed the code in
the dream servers of dot-coms. This book persuaded me that despite the
dangers of strong crypto (it gives a chance for evil to hide) providing it
to the public was a Very Good Thing. Crypto not only makes e-commerce
possible, it is also the first political movement in the digital era. Read
about the future here."
--Kevin Kelly, author of New Rules for the New Economy and Editor-at-Large,
Wired Magazine

"At last! The human story of the breakthroughs that gave us e-commerce and
privacy on the Internet. Steve Levy has written cryptography's Soul of a New
Machine.'"
--David Kahn, author of The Codebreakers

"Civilian crypto hardly existed three decades ago.  Now we can't get cash
from an ATM or buy something on the Net without it.  To tell the story
coherently is a service, and to tell it entertainingly is a favor to anyone
with a stake in crypto--which nowadays means all of us.  CRYPTO  is a book
that needed to be written and Steven Levy has written it. "
-- Neal Stephenson, author of Cryptonomicon

Author Bio

Steven Levy is also the author of Hackers and Insanely Great: The Life &
Times of Macintosh, the Computer That Changed Everything. He is Newsweek's
chief technology writer, a former writer for Macworld, and a frequent
contributor to Wired.