More half-baked social planning ideas

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Thu Jan 4 16:59:08 PST 2001

At 05:29 AM 1/4/01 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
>I *guess* "kitchen"

sharp lad

>because in the UK "stove" is an old-fashioned name
>for a cooking device, stuff we used before the invention of gas and
>electric cookers (in fact, before the invention of the cast-iron
>range).

Yes, artifact to cook on

But for us a "furnace" is an extremely large thing that you get
>steel out of...  not something anyone would find in a basement. Over
>here you put teenagers or washing machines or junk in your basement, not
>furnaces. Actually, in London, they are almost always converted into
>flats & rented out.

So what do you call the artifacts that warm your homes, and where
are they located?  Boilers and radiators?  Embedded wires?  Fireplaces?
Peat fires?  Mad-cow-dung fires?

>Anyway, surely basements are urban vs. rural? A way of getting more room
>in a restricted space. Do people build them out in the country?

Tim enlightened us IIRC that they have to do with the frost line... you
want to have your lowest slab below it.