Electric Kettles

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Thu Jan 4 11:06:54 PST 2001

Obligatory cypher tie-in: Remember the Lava Lamp used to create
random numbers?  Bubbles in a boiling liquid might also be suitable.

Electric kettles are common in the UK and Canada.  Black and Decker
makes a model (in 1/2 quart and 1-1/2 quart sizes) available in
some department stores, kitchen stores and catalog stores in the
US.

Electric kettles will boil several cups of water faster than a
microwave.  For a smaller amount, it's a toss-up (depending on the
power of your microwave).  If you want to make a full pot of tea,
an electric kettle is faster and more convenient than a stovetop
or microwave solution.

Energy consumption is favorable or better than a stovetop as very
little heat goes other than to heat water (versus a stove, where
heat disapates around and under the pot).

Like an automatic drip coffee maker, it's wise to periodically
clean the inside of the kettle with a vinegar solution.  This
eliminates build-up from minerals in the water.

Here endeth the lesson.
  -- Greg