More half-baked social planning ideas

Harmon Seaver hseaver at harmon.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
Thu Jan 4 05:48:00 PST 2001

Steve Mynott wrote:

> Ken Brown <k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk> writes:
>
> On a tangent a friend claimed Americans didn't have electric kettles
> for boiling water.
>
> Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

     We have. I do.

> > electric cookers (in fact, before the invention of the cast-iron
> > range).  But for us a "furnace" is an extremely large thing that you get
> > steel out of...  not something anyone would find in a basement. Over
>
> I think "furnace" is "boiler" in English.

    No, those are different forms of central heating units -- a furnace is
forced air, boiler is, uh, hot water or steam.

   Stove is what you cook on -- could also be range, either gas or electric. Or
oil, for that matter, although you don't find those much anymore except as
antiques. I prefer the woodfired cookstove, which we used for many years and are
looking for a new one. Stove is also a part of a car, the sheetmetal piece that
mounts on the exhaust manifold and feeds hot air thru a tube to the airclearner
to prevent carburator icing.
      In differnt areas of the US we have different tems for the thing get water
out of at the sink. In the south it's often called spigot, and in the north
faucet. Also tap. What do you Brits call that?