More half-baked social planning ideas

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 02:29:27 PST 2001

I read. I even read American stuff sometimes.  In the last week I've
read all or some of 5 books about architecture & housing. Two of them
were American. But, not being American I still have no real idea what
the expected answer to

>       furnace:basement::stove:______

is.

I *guess* "kitchen" because in the UK "stove" is an old-fashioned name
for a cooking device, stuff we used before the invention of gas and
electric cookers (in fact, before the invention of the cast-iron
range).  But for us a "furnace" is an extremely large thing that you get
steel out of...  not something anyone would find in a basement. Over
here you put teenagers or washing machines or junk in your basement, not
furnaces. Actually, in London, they are almost always converted into
flats & rented out.

Anyway, surely basements are urban vs. rural? A way of getting more room
in a restricted space. Do people build them out in the country?

Ken the Ethnocentric.