FCC Slaps Anti-Drug TV Shows

Adam Langley agl at linuxpower.org
Wed Jan 3 11:52:07 PST 2001

Quotes from http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52094-2000Dec26.html

"Federal regulators have ruled that the major networks should have identified the White House as a sponsor of programs such as "The Practice," "The Drew Carey Show" and "America's Most Wanted" when their plots included anti-drug messages for which the government paid the networks millions of dollars"

"During the past two years, networks including ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox received a total of $25 million for including anti-drug messages in prime-time programming. It was revealed at congressional hearings that the White House reviewed scripts for more than 100 shows to determine if the anti-drug message of a particular program was strong enough to merit payment"

"We have been told by these programmers that they have influenced the programs in order to please the government. That is not the kind of free press we have grown accustomed to," Stroup said

--end--

Aren't you glad that your tax $$$ are being spent so well?
I guess this is what they mean when they talk about educating
the population.

AGL

--
The Street finds its own uses for technology.