Anarchy Eroded: Project Efnext

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Jan 2 08:08:26 PST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Andrew Alston wrote:

>Further more, IRC does NOT take that much bandwidth, there is a myth that
>efnet NEEDS OC3 links etc because of the traffic that is passed across it,
>what people dont say is that the servers actually only run at between 1 and
>2 megabit/second if you remove the traffic from DDOS and attacks like smurf.

I have a question: given that half the bandwidth and almost all
of the spike bandwidth is devoted to smurfing, why don't IRC
servers just block multicast ping? I mean, okay, so it's in the
kernel code instead of being a separate application.  It still
shouldn't be hard to come up with a patch that killed smurfing.

Pings should never be forwarded to multiple hosts.

				Bear