American Bar Association - 1 click patents

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Wed Feb 28 15:46:14 PST 2001

> At 2:08 PM -0500 2/28/01, Adam Shostack wrote:
> >So, this web page doesn't work without javascript.  I find that
> >somewhat ironic, because you'd think that the ABA would be aware of
> >the Americans With Disabilities act, which requires a reasonable
> >accomodation; in this case that accomodation would be one less line of
> >html (the meta-equiv refresh line)
>
> The ADA does not require writers, whether lawyers or novelists or
> whatever, to write their material in ways that the blind can read,
> that retarded persons can understand, or that the Java-less can
> process.
>
> (Though I admit that many of these rent-seeking vipers would of
> course _like_ the ADA to be extended to cover such things, if only to
> increase the rent they can collect in thousands of lawsuits.)
>

> --Tim May

Gotta get that animal analogy stuff right. A viper is an honest to
goodness, fend for yourself, not on the dole, tooth and nail predator.
Perfectly respectable by any reasonable standard. The rent-seekers are
more accurately portrayed as something from a list of parasites : louse
tick flea tapeworm roundworm bilharzia mosquito deerfly botfly giardia.
Some of 'em have a pretty ghastly effect on the host - imaging growing
grubs under your skin or having your sphincter muscles eaten away
permanently from the inside. Yuk!

http://www.techlawjournal.com/censor/20000210.htm

While I agree in principle that those with disabilities should be able
to participate in everything that society has to offer it seems
inherently dangerous to have the government mandate how this issue will
be addressed. I don't want to see paved roads into great wilderness
areas and I don't think an old building that doesn't meet modern
accessibility requirements should become a target for multimillion
dollar lawsuits. I don't know how to solve this thing and neither do
those who wrote the ADA.

Mike