FBI leaks Top Secret code cracking capabilities- NOT. (Was: Re: weird (fwd))

aluger at hushmail.com aluger at hushmail.com
Wed Feb 28 09:09:13 PST 2001

At Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:49:43 -0800, Tim May <tcmay at got.net> wrote:

>At 7:16 AM -0600 2/28/01, Jim Choate wrote:

If he was using PGP to encrypt this letter for a deaddrop then having his
private key would do no good.  Only the recipiant's private key would make
any difference.  (Unless he had "encrypt to self" set on- which seems rather
silly).  I rather doubt that the Russian Secret Services would use PGP anyhow
for encoding dead-drop messages.  No, likely it was either something of
(clearly inferior) Russian design, or it is a misleading quote.

I suspect the latter.

Why would the FBI allow to leak (much less leak themselves) the fact that
they could decrypt whatever cipher the Russian handlers were using to give
to their agents for dead drops?  Quite the reverse.  That's just basic OpSec.
 They would have invented some other plausable way to have obtained the
information.
Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com