Confusion about Free Speech - reputation enforcement

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Tue Feb 27 22:21:09 PST 2001

Tim May said:

> This is well-trod ground, even ....

I already know that you always say this.

I don't know that it does any good.

I'm not going to touch that wild free speech thread.

> >Lastly, lest I ramble on too much, if there are issues of civil
> >actions in defamation (slander and libel), there are some nice
> >alternatives coming under the rubric of "polycentril law" or
> >"markets for law." In a nutshell, if you want to sue me, contact
> >your protection racket and have them contact mine for some
> >bargaining.
>
> A typo. That should be "polycentric law," as in "multiple centers."

The Maghribi traders, ADR, blinded arbitration, an' all dat:
http://calvo.teleco.ulpgc.es/cyphernomicon/chapter16/16.19.html

Friedman @
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Academic/contracts_in_%20cyberspace/contracts_in_c
yberspace.htm

Now, suddenly free speech and defamation is relevant again, because of it's
role in reputation enforcement, at least in ID'd transactions. Nice shot,
sir.

Now you can say, "This is well-trod ground, even...."  Bah. ;-)

-Aimee

[I'm behind on all my email.]