Confusion about Free Speech - polycentric

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Feb 28 00:02:18 PST 2001

At 12:32 AM -0600 2/28/01, Aimee Farr wrote:
>Jim said:
>
>>  Also known as 'polycracy' or 'polyocracy'.
>>
>>  It's also worth knowing the only extant sample was the Third Reich. Makes
>>  it a hard sell for obvious reasons.
>
>Polycentric law is older than the law itself. The Muslims and the Christians
>used to trade using the Maghribi traders. They ran a _private legal system_.
>Later, we saw the rise of the Law Merchant standards. If you broke the
>rules, you were out. It runs on reputation capital. Polycentric law is the
>order of the society. Most of the cypherpunk memes here are going to require
>the equivalent of the Maghribi traders.
>
>Code and other laws of cyberspace (Lessig, et. al.) are pointing out that
>the Net has developed a society where one person can be subject to many
>legal systems. A legal system is not just a state-sanctioned court. Now,
>these two legal systems are competing. The static legal system is trying
>avidly to address and stamp out it's new competitor. But there will always
>be a place for the Maghribi (although the traditional role of a lawyer is
>now very much in question) where the law does not go, or where it is
>inefficient.
>
>Coming from a traditionalist legal culture, I'm probably the worst person to
>talk about it. My understanding is that this is an old cypherpunk topic.

Yes, we used to talk about this kind of stuff a lot. We had a few
people very interested in this kind of stuff in the early days.
People like Hal Finney, Robin Hanson, Nick Szabo, myself. Alas, most
are long since gone.

Polycentric law is still with us, of course. One hundred or more
nations, law of the seas, the UCC, etc. Anarchy is the norm in most
parts of our lives.

However, Aimee, your summary here is very good. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Debating with Choate is not useful, however.

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns