Microsoft Trial Judge Based His Break-Up "Remedy" On Flawed Theory, Not Facts

David Stultz ds932 at bard.edu
Tue Feb 27 19:41:32 PST 2001

I see your point...prior restraint sucks, but I disagree with you that
speech cannot violate rights.  What about slander or libel?  I believe
that I have the right not to be publicly ridiculed and to be made the
subject of untrue statements against my character.  But that's the limit.
I think that's about the limit of restriction on speech.

But the reality of it is, prior restraint *does* exist, and seeing as code
is speech, the same restrictions that apply to speech apply to code.  I am
pretty much talking out of my ass (because I am not a lawyer), but what I
just said makes sense.

--dave