Sealand and Experimental Rocketry

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Thu Feb 22 15:24:17 PST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Jim Windle wrote:

> Thanks it been a long time since I even seemed sophisticated to anyone.  What is not irrelevant to the discussion is, ignoring any range safety problems, is physics.  Ignoring the influence of the moon, a satellite orbit is a 2 body problems which is completely specified when its initial conditions (6 scalars for things like velocity and position) are specified at a particular time.  When you grind through all the math you discover an interesting condition.  No launch site can directly insert a satellite into an orbit with an orbital inclination less than it latitude.  (This is why we put our main launch facility in Florida, why the ESA picked Guyana and the Russian moved to Tyrutam from Pletesck and still had to use such big rockets because its still a high latitude) An orbit with 50+ degrees of inclination is not going to visible over areas like North America or Western Europe regularly enough to be of much use for a crypto system.  To put it into a useful orbit an orbit!
al!
 transfer maneuver would be necessary, this requires an additional stage for the rocket.  I am aware of the type rocket you are talking about, and launched from an equatorial area they might work, but at 52 degrees of latitude they would have to be able to launch not only the satellite but an additional stage to perform the orbital transfer.  This would require not only a pretty capable rocket and a sophisticated control system as well for orbital transfer maneuvering. Even if an amateur system could do this it starts getting very expensive.  Hence my contntion that Sealand, even without issues of range safety, is not a very good launch site.

One?

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com