CDR: Testing for encryption. (fwd)

Tom tom at ricardo.de
Thu Feb 22 05:53:56 PST 2001

Jim Choate wrote:

> Yeah, yeah, yeah. Only problem is the constraint that GPG must be
> specified as the allowed source encryption standard a priori. This was NOT
> in the original problem description.

that, of course, depends mostly on what you consider the "original". for
the current FAQ thread, the original problem description given does read
very much like using one specific software IS an acceptable option.

> There is NO algorithm which will determine if an arbitrary piece of text
> is encrypted by an arbitrary algorithm.

nobody's discussing that point, jim. not now or in the past. we are all
very well aware of the fact that you can easily define the problem in a
way that is unsolvable. fortunately, most real-world problems do have
constraints on them that redefine the problem to one that CAN be solved,
often trivially.

EOT