Secure Erasing is actually harder than that...

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Feb 20 08:49:24 PST 2001

At 10:30 AM 2/20/01 -0500, Trei, Peter wrote:

>It's my vague recollection that some of the newer storage technologies
>(CD-RWs, MOs, etc) use preformatted pits to store the data bits. Its
>possible that for these technologies, the number of overwrites
>required to make data irrecoverable is considerably lower, but that's
>outside my area of expertise.
>
>Peter Trei

Not only that, but I was able to find *no* specs on secure wiping of
CDs and MOs, searching both the net and querying cypherpunks some time ago.
(This thread is quickly misinterpreted and devolves into CD aging and
shredding
issues; neither of which helps if you're using a CD for OTP and want to wipe
used bits.)

"What company did you say you were from, Mr. Hewlett?"
---Walt Disney to Bill Hewlett eetimes 22.01.01 p 32