PGP on Debian

Andrew Tonner amtonner at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Feb 18 13:12:33 PST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Strange Attractor wrote:

> 		I currently use PGP 7.0 (w/Win2k) on my main system.  At
> present I have some of my mails routed to a Debian server running SSH with
> no POPMail support.   Hacktic.nl has command line linux PGP source,  but
> the .tar appears to be corrupted.  I've also noticed a number of differing
> PGP/Pine programs, but I'm unclear as to what the current version is
> (there are .tar files available for "PGP4PINE" up to 1.56, but then
> another file is listed as PGPPINE5 in the same directory.  Any suggestions
> on what I can use given Debian/Pine parameters?
>
> Strange Attractor

Hint: Please give use version numbers of stuff you have.

The main distribution site for PGP freeware cl for unix is:
http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

In case this isn't clear to you, pgp4pine and pgppine are different
programs, and both are just wrappers for pgp.

I have no idea why you don't just install the appropriate debian
package for whichever of pgp4pine or pgppine you prefer... unless you have
a pre-apt version of debian (suggestion: upgrade) or you
don't know what you're doing (suggestion: RTFM at
http://www.newriders.com/debian/html/frames/ , seeing especially the
"Removing and Installing Software" section).

-aT