Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Fri Feb 16 13:33:31 PST 2001

Hi Alex,

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Alex B. Shepardsen wrote:

> Can't the node operators set up some sort of filter to catch bounce
> messages and prevent them from being sent to the list? It seems logical to
> block anything from postmaster@, MAILER-DAEMON, etc...
>
> Just a thought...

Yes, but it gets into a gray area of 'censorship'. I know it seems
'obvious' but boundary conditions that appear obvious here can be
problematic 'there'. I prefer to simply stay away from the whole issue.

The backbone is unfiltered and should stay that way.

I'm not sure how algebra.com has their config file setup. In my majordomo
these sorts of things normaly go to list-owner and not list. <shrug>

The SSZ policy is to not touch the body or title of traffic on the
backbone and pass this on to our subscribers to filter to their hearts
content (that the title or body may be a bounce is irrelevant). Bounces
from an SSZ subscriber I catch before they get re-sent to the subscribers
(and the backbone) if I'm lucky. If the redirect to list-owner is in error
then I'll forward it to the list with appropriate notice. If it's a real
bounce (ie lasts at least a week) then I delete it. I used to try to send
notices but I got what Peter got, indifference. So I just delete the
accounts now.

What I'd suggest is to ask Igor if he can redirect that sort of stuff to
an account with a home dir of /dev/null. I know that he has operated the
algebra.com node pretty hands-off now for quite a while. As far as I am
aware he isn't even subscribed to the list.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com