Slashdot | European Record Industry Goes After Personal Computers

Tom tom at ricardo.de
Thu Feb 15 05:45:27 PST 2001

Ray Dillinger wrote:
> There's a lot to be said for "simple", especially when it would
> require invasive (and expensive) monitoring to implement a per-
> song download fee.

that is actually one of the main plus points of this, and privacy is one
of the reasons it's been implemented here (germany) - an invasive
monitoring scheme would violate our privacy laws. yes, we have laws that
actually give citizen a right to privacy.

> BTW; I don't generally download music: I tried it and the sound
> quality of MP3 is crap.  I don't use windows; the engineering
> quality of the product is crap.  But I'd still rather pay taxes
> on hard drives than have snooping software installed in Windows.
> See, given the choice, I'd rather have taxes rather than snooping
> software accepted as "normal". -- At least for now.

yepp. if you accept that you have to pay for music copies, then a flat
fee is the less invasive and more privacy-conscious option.