Taxes on hard drives

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Thu Feb 15 08:01:28 PST 2001

At 10:25 PM 2/14/01 -0800, Alan Olsen wrote:
>The things I find most interesting in the way of the non-traditional music
>distribution channels are the things I *cannot* buy.

Using the search mechanisms, you can find groups in a genre you are
interested in.
For instance, 'industrial' will find files whose names include that label.

An interesting problem for Napster et al: if they have to control the indexing
of files that are claimed by Content Corporations, they can't just use the
name of a band.  Because you can label your own, public-domain music with
their
"proprietary" labels, e.g., "Joe's Band ---better than Metallica"   (Also
many files
are 'covers' of other songs.)  And watermarking the files won't work.
So implementing the control that the courts will require, without being
heavy-handed,
is not nearly as easy as the courts might imagine.