Senator tries to ban sale of SSNs by banks

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Feb 14 14:29:39 PST 2001

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      For More Information Contact:
      FEBRUARY 14, 2001
      Andrea Andrews (202) 224-6518

      SHELBY INTRODUCES SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER PRIVACY PROTECTION
      LEGISLATION

      Bill Prohibits the Sale and Purchase of Social Security Numbers by
      Financial Institutions

         WASHINGTON, DC -- U.S. Senator Richard C. Shelby (R-AL) today
      introduced legislation that would prevent the unauthorized disclosure
      of Social Security numbers.

         Senator Shelby's "Social Security Privacy Act of 2001" would
      prohibit the sale and purchase of an individual's Social Security
      number by financial institutions.  The legislation would include
      Social Security numbers as "nonpublic personal information" subject to
      the privacy protections of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.

         "I believe Congress has a duty to stop Social Security numbers from
      being bought and sold like some common commodity," said Shelby.
      "Social Security numbers are key to just about all the personal
      information concerning an individual.  While Congress waits to act,
      the easy access and extreme availability of our personal information
      has lead to fraud, abuse, identity theft and in the more extreme
      cases-stalking and death."

         "I do not know anyone in this country who believes financial
      institutions should be making money by trafficking in our Social
      Security numbers," added Shelby.  "The longer we wait to act on this
      issue-an issue supported by a vast majority of Americans-the more the
      American people lose confidence in the U.S. Congress and our ability
      to lead."

      - 30 -