watermarking sucks (Re: stego for the censored II)

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Tue Feb 13 23:52:19 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Adam Back wrote:

>I think a watermark is more likely to be keyed.  Without the key
>it's a bit harder to be sure to remove the watermark without affecting
>the quality of the image.  With the key you can tell which parts of
>the message to remove.

Of course. The point was that using a watermarking system as-is makes the
keys available, and if you appropriate just the stego part, any party with
keys available will see that the watermark is not valid and probably hides
other data.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university