freedomforum.org: Federal judge quashes subpoena for Kansas bookstore's sales records

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Feb 13 15:43:36 PST 2001

Jim, please do not email me privately unless you want to say something to
me privately. It appears as though you sent the below message to the list
and then to me in a different message; there is no need for this, and it
violates netiquette.

In any case, I'm inclined to believe that the First Amendment should not
grant special rights to people who call themselves bookstores and
journalists. Rather, we should all enjoy those rights. Being an Official
Approved Government-Certified Journalist -- and I am one -- writing an
article should not mean I have special privileges that only I enjoy and
someone from an unapproved newspaper, or a cypherpunk subscriber writing
about the same topic, does not.

-Declan