Here you have, ;o)

Me commerce at home.com
Tue Feb 13 15:14:30 PST 2001

From: "Roy Silvernail" <roy at scytale.com>
> Most likely, you have set your Explorer options to show
> file extensions (as most any sane person would).

My standard Windows settings are to hide extensions for known file-types --
ignoring questions of sanity, it is prettier and I generally don't run any
program I am unfamiliar with regardless of file extension.

If there is a separate option for changing this behaviour only within Outlook
Express, I am not even aware it exists.