(RE: Crypto McCarthyism ...thoughts, gentlemen?)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Feb 13 06:41:58 PST 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 04:16:33PM -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> Even the relatively small set of people who are interested in hate
> find themselves spoiled for choice; Name any group of people, and
> you can find dozens of hate-mongers calling for their extermination
> on the web.  In this environment, it is virtually inconcievable that
> any *one* hate ideology should ever become the dominant hate
> ideology -- this breaks up the process described in the paper at
> the "identification of villains" stage.

Interesting point. I fear you're too optimistic, but it does seem as
though currently the groups with the dominant hate-mongering ideology
seem like imports from meatspace instead of homegrown. The anti-Bonsai
Kitten activists are a closer call, but they've been as about as
effective as Democrats arguing for a tax hike.

-Declan