nightline TONIGHT morphed kiddy porn case

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Feb 12 20:49:42 PST 2001

At 11:16 PM -0500 2/12/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>FSC Does Nightline
>WASHINGTON - Free Speech Coalition general counsel Jeffrey Douglas
>and lobbyist Kat Sunlove will discuss the so-called "virtual child
>porn" case, FSC v. Reno, tonight on Nightline, the long-running
>late-night ABC news program hosted by Ted Koppel. The program
>usually begins at 11:30 p.m. Eastern and Pacific times on local and
>regional ABC affiliates following local news. Check your local
>television listings - you will not want to miss this critical
>discussion on the question of whether a computerized image that
>resembles a child can be classified the same way as an actual image
>of an actual child.

It's amusing to watch issues brought up on Cypherpunks 8 or 9 years
ago surfacing in recent weeks. Morphed images, stego for dead drops,
cyber-stalking, etc.

Reminds me of the opening months of the first Clinton term, when
"trial balloons" to ban crypto were being floated by Administration
lackeys masquerading as disinterested parties. The CIA Director is
out there scaring the congresscritters, giving them the public scare
story and, presumably, the "if you only knew what we know" secret
briefing which is designed to turn even the staunchest free speechers
into quivering police state apologists.

Somewhere this coming spring they probably need another Reichstag
fire, though. A Sarin attack, or some really juicy cyber-snuff MPEGs
cooked up by the spooks.

Journalistic sniffing around is increasing. I've had three calls for
interviews in recent weeks. One I did, but the focus unfortunately
shifted to the sensational and I expect the final result to be
uninteresting. Another I declined, citing overexposure of these tired
old issues. The third I mostly deflected, saying I'm not the best
person to talk to. Whew.

"Just when I think I'm out, they _pull_ me back in."

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns