[Re: Slashdot | Michigan May Outlaw Anonymity Online]

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Mon Feb 12 16:55:27 PST 2001

I'm sure everyone here feels as enraged by this nonsense as I do. why don't
they try to be a little more creative in catching the bad guys?  are
pedophiles and other bad guys so stupid as to actually sign-up for free isp
service with their real names and credit card numbers?  (well perhaps by
fiat they are incredibly stupid)

if you know the suspect's online user name, why not force a local update of
the dialer app or 'call to' phone number in the case of the win dialer app,
and have the suspect dial into a toll-free exchange?  this reveals the
number used to originate the call (even if you have the caller-id block
enabled...this is just part of the way toll-free calls work).  these calls
could be matched by login logs to figure out who in real life is the user.
at least one major isp does this today and it works well, and conforms to
requirements for warrants (not a lawyer, but i know this only happens if an
appropriate legal document is issued).

if you know the suspect in real life, a phone tap will include the number
being called (even electronically), handshaking, etc.  plus one could
capture data revealing sites visited, etc.  it takes work to decode this
information, but it's very good information.

seeing this story motivated me to donate more money to eff.org and epic.org.
and i'm more convinced than ever for the need to start my own private isp
and data repository.  although, to be honest, the fear of pedophiles using
my own anonymous isp forces me to consider a 'web of trust' model in which
only the invited can participate.

phillip