The meek will inherit what, exactly?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Feb 12 18:11:04 PST 2001

On 12 Feb 2001, LUIS VILDOSOLA wrote:

>But let's not worry so much of differences in power, for the poor and peace
>makers will inherit the world. -somewhere in the Bible-

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
		-Matthew 5, verse 5.

Think about that, though.  While it may have seemed reassuring
to our ancestors, who did not anticipate modern capabilities for
destruction, what exactly will be left for the meek to inherit,
after all the non-meek run roughshod over this sorry old planet
until it becomes too decripit for them to exploit and they go
elsewhere leaving it to the meek?

I don't think prime real estate, exactly,  Perhaps a near-barren
rock with a poisonous radioactive atmosphere and a few surviving
species of insects and fungus. Perhaps less than that.

I regard that one verse, and its implications, as one of the most
dire, tragic, and hopeless of all the prophecies in the bible.

				Bear