Slashdot | Michigan May Outlaw Anonymity Online

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Feb 12 15:13:13 PST 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Aimee Farr wrote:

> First, I like to think the 1st Amendment includes the right to _receive_
> anonymously, as well as send/publish -- which implicates anonymous digital
> cash.

This seems to hinge on two points. The first being that 'speech/print' is
equivalent in some sense to 'read/hear'. The second being the
non-enumeracy clause of the 9th.

Clearly being able to speek/publish is worthless unless the audience has
free and unhindered access. Note as an aside this conflicts with aspects
of IP as currently practiced.

Another aspect that isn't clearly covered IMO is the role of 'consent' in
anonymous communications. After all we are talking about a right, the
right to make the choice based on personal beliefs. That clearly has to
also protect those people who don't want to receive material anonymously.

After all, your rights extend only until they interfere with anothers.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com