(RE: Crypto McCarthyism ...thoughts, gentlemen?)

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Feb 12 16:16:33 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Aimee Farr wrote:

>Yes. However, I've been here a while. The dynamics of this community is
>somewhat difficult to grasp, and I can only beg your understanding of the
>same.

One of the crucial things needed to understand what goes on cypherpunks
is that about three-quarters of the people see half or less of the
posts.  Having set up spamfilters adequate to give the list a reasonable
S/N, you wind up having cut out a substantial fraction of the signal.

Another crucial thing needed to understand what goes on cypherpunks
are that certain of the regulars are trolls and/or cranks, and will
say utterly outrageous things simply in order to "tweak" the presumed
eavesdroppers or scare away people whom they regard as too timid to
be worth talking to anyhow. It's best interpreted as performance art
after the style of Andy Kaufmann.

Regarding the paper you referred us to:  While the author has come
up with a lot of references as quotes to cite, few or none of them
bear directly on the central theme of his paper.  He presents a
number of people who have a number of interesting things to say,
some of them even on topic, but NO research or study that supports
his central point of electronic communications as a first cause for
the development of mass hate. A vehicle, sure.  But not a first
cause.  And there's nothing really unique about it as a vehicle.

Television, in my opinion, is far more dangerous in that regard,
due to having fewer available channels.  With TV, it takes only
a very few people to decide that the airwaves should all be
saturated with the same lopsided viewpoints.  The internet, by
comparison, is chaos.

People uninterested in hate will find no reason whatsoever to visit
hate sites, and since virtually everything is available (see
http://www.bonsaikitten.com/ or
http://www.thecorporation.com/oneoffs/96/kittyporn/
for examples of how weird it can get out there) a call to hate
can be made by anoyone, but will attract no attention outside the
limited community that has self-selected as being a priori interested
in it.

Even the relatively small set of people who are interested in hate
find themselves spoiled for choice; Name any group of people, and
you can find dozens of hate-mongers calling for their extermination
on the web.  In this environment, it is virtually inconcievable that
any *one* hate ideology should ever become the dominant hate
ideology -- this breaks up the process described in the paper at
the "identification of villains" stage.

As to the "moral boundaries" issue, I'll have to ask my girlfriend's
husband about that - his dissertation was about what musical styles
evolve in cultures whose moral boundaries are in conflict or change.

				Bear