Odd Addresses

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sun Feb 11 09:44:40 PST 2001

We have from time to time phantom "accesses" from odd
addresses such as yesterday:

   http://161/1.035

These accesses and addresses do not show up in the log
files but are listed in summaries of accesses produced by
Analog on our dedicated server. When we run Analog of
what should be the same log file on our machine the
addresses do not appear.

The odd addresses change, none repeat, and
do not appear every day.

Got any ideas what such entries indicate? Machine
camouflage, snoops by spooks, spoofs, debris,
taunts?

We do see in the logfiles our ISP's regular checks of our
machine for operability, showing log ins from 127.0.0.0, but
the odd addresses not at all.