Formal apology (RE: Crypto McCarthyism ...thoughts, gentlemen?)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Feb 10 22:34:22 PST 2001

At 1:03 AM -0500 2/11/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>At 09:49 PM 2/10/01 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>>>Nevertheless, I came across as abrasive and offended members of this forum.
>>>_Ladies_ & Gentlemen, you have my apologies for both my breach of decorum
>>>and disrespect. Such was certainly not my intention.
>>
>>We should kill it before it multiplies. No human being speaks in
>>such a stilted, phony way.
>[...]
>>This chick can be for real. It must be another troll.
>
>Hmm. I just responded to Aimee's message, and so I may have just
>been trolled.  But I rise to the defense of human sentience here: I
>don't think an AI would have bothered to ask us about such an inane
>sociological tract...
>
>Another theory is that Aimee actually thinks that all cypherpunks
>subscribers are pleasant, decent, and reasonable people who should
>be treated politely. I'm sure folks -- is Choate around? -- will
>disabuse her of this notion straightaway.

On my planet, people talk to each other in a pleasant, decent, and
reasonable way by actually _talking_ to them. That is, by listening,
responding, making points, etc. In particular, when the arrive on new
lists they spend a few days determining who is who and what is what.

They don't spew stilted jargon to lists which they are new to.

I still vote that we find our where it lives and kill it before it multiplies.

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns