IW: Tools Stunt DoS Attacks

Andrew Alston andrew at security.za.net
Thu Feb 8 23:08:54 PST 2001

If the attacker has a large number of slave machines, each machine is
spoofing from 1000 addresses (I.E sending 1000 packets each one from a
different address, and then cycling these addresses or generating another
1000 different addresses), it becomes VERY VERY difficult to block.

Look at it this way...

1000 machines, each sending 1000 packets, from 1000 spoofed addresses, each
packet is 8k big...

7812meg is therefore sent in payload size (as with my example code), per
cycle, from a total of 1 million addresses.

Because each packet is a SYN packet, probably aimed for a legit opened port
(like port 80) and it looks like a standard normal start of a connect, the
firewall will never block these packets, if the firewall DOES attempt to
auto shun these packets at the address level, the firewall will attempt to
insert 1 million rules in the space on under 5 minutes, its almost sure to
fall over.  If the firewall doesnt fall over and DOES succeed in these rule
insertions, it will have effectively blocked a fairly major part of the
internet from ever accessing your server that is being DoS'ed.

With 1000 machines, each sending 10 8k packets per second (80k/sec), you are
running at 80000k/sec, that is to say almost 80gigabit, enough to kill an
OC-48 dead in the water.

At this point, to stop and block and trace is almost impossible, and there
are still PLENTY of places you can send spoofed packets from that arent
blocking these things, besides, if you block them, unless you block them
VERY high up, your ISP is gonna be dead in the water anyway and your
blockage is gonna do nothing to stop it anyway

If anyone has other opinions on what Ive said above, please let me know :)

Thanks

Andrew