fast way to decode RSA encryption

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 7 10:27:45 PST 2001

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Phillip H. Zakas wrote:

> terms of clock cycles than trying to factor a number using
> multiplication/division (at least using the Pentium chip.)  Here is a link

Yes, but...trying to factor using trial division is not the best currently
known method of factoring. In order to be worth a look, this method should
have a running time better than the general number field sieve.

Rivest also makes this point in his response, and in more detail than I
have here. Unless I've misunderstood what you mean by "trying to factor a
number using multiplication/division" ?

-David