WPI Cryptoseminar, Wednesday, Feb 7

Christof Paar christof at ece.WPI.EDU
Tue Feb 6 09:59:46 PST 2001

Here we go again, the WPI Cryptoseminar starts tomorrow, Wednesday. Sorry
for the late notice.  - Christof

                    WPI CRYPTOGRAPHY SEMINAR

     Efficient Implementation of Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems
        on the TI MSP430x33x Family of Microcontrollers

                        Jorge Guajardo
                             WPI

Place:       AK218

Date & Time: Wednesday, Feb 7, 1:30pm
             (refreshments at 1:15pm)

This contribution describes a methodology used to efficiently
implement elliptic curves (EC) over $GF(p)$ on the 16-bit TI
MSP430x33x family of low-cost microcontrollers. We show that it is
possible to implement EC cryptosystems in highly constrained embedded
systems and still obtain acceptable performance at low cost.  We
modified the EC point addition and doubling formulae to reduce the
number of intermediate variables while at the same time allowing for
flexibility.  We used a generalized-Mersenne prime to implement the
arithmetic in the underlying field. We take advantage of the special
form of the moduli to minimize the number of precomputations needed
to implement inversion via Fermat's little theorem and the $k$-ary
method of exponentiation.  We apply these ideas to an implementation
of an elliptic curve system over $GF(p)$, where $p=2^{128} - 2^{97}-1$.
We show that a scalar point multiplication can be achieved in 3.4
seconds without any stored/precomputed values and the processor
clocked at 1 MHz.

This work will also be presented next week at PKC 2001 in Korea.

DIRECTIONS:

The WPI Cryptoseminar is being held in the Atwater Kent building on
the WPI campus. The Atwater Kent building is at the intersection of
the extension of West Street (labeled "Private Way") and Salisbury
Street. Directions to the campus can be found at
     http://www.wpi.edu/About/Visitors/directions.html

ATTENDANCE:

The seminar is open to everyone and free of charge. Simply send me a
brief email if you plan to attend.

TALKS IN THE SPRING 2001 SEMESTER:

2/7   Jorge Guajardo, WPI
      Efficient Implementation of Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems
      on the TI MSP430x33x Family of Microcontrollers

TBA   Daniel Bailey, NTRU and Brown University
      NTRU in constraint applications

TBA   Andre Weimerskirch, WPI
      Application of the Mordell-Well Group to Cryptographic Systems
      (MS Thesis presentation)

TBA   Adam Woodbury, WPI
      Public-key Cryptography in Constraint Environments
      (MS Thesis presentation)

TBA   Thomas Wollinger, WPI
      Hardware Architectures for Hyperelliptic Curve Cryptosystems
      (MS Thesis presentation)

See
  http://www.ece.WPI.EDU/Research/crypt/seminar/index.html
for talk abstracts.

MAILING LIST:

If you want to be added to the mailing list and receive talk
announcements together with abstracts, please send me a short email.
Likewise, if you want to be removed from the list, just send me a
short email.

Regards,

Christof Paar

! WORKSHOP ON CRYPTOGRAPHIC HARDWARE AND EMBEDDED SYSTEMS (CHES 2001) !
!                  Paris, France, May 13-16, 2001                     !
!                       www.chesworkshop.org                          !

                 Christof Paar,  Assistant Professor
          Cryptography and Information Security (CRIS) Group
      ECE Dept., WPI, 100 Institute Rd., Worcester, MA 01609, USA
fon: (508) 831 5061    email: christof at ece.wpi.edu
fax: (508) 831 5491    www:   http://ee.wpi.edu/People/faculty/cxp.html