CNN.com - Technology - New notebooks offer biometric protection - February 2, 2001

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Mon Feb 5 14:08:16 PST 2001

yes, and even if you're using a c2-compliant operating system, this type of
technology is not (as the article points out) for sensitive information.
It's great for thwarting those who go around bypassing screen saver
passwords, etc. but there really isn't a high enough confidence to store the
The Nation's Secrets.

The Nation's Secrets are reserved for off-the-shelf toshiba laptops with
removable hard drives, easily lost behind standard-issue-one-each office
copiers and subject to the tragedy of spilled coca colas and jelly donuts.
Only crack state department, CIA and department of energy personnel are even
allowed to use such equipment and the little red diskettes marked 'secret'
that go along with them.  Oh and of course only if they access AOL through
the laptops so their kids can complete their dinosaur homework assignments
("Gee dad, what's 'intel briefing 2-1-98.doc'?")

the rest of us are left to complicated systems of hardware/software
passwords, PGP and the all-powerful stress of knowing that a lost laptop
means lost bucks $$ and lost e-mail/work/writings, forcing us to pay
attention to our stuff and be careful about what we install/use on our
laptops.

phillip